Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Why I love Wednesdays in Oxford...

Wednesdays are Farmer's Market days... You can load up on fresh produce for half the price of what you would pay at the grocery store! ...And that makes for one happy Steph! I made bruschetta today from produce I still had from last week, and it tasted gooo-ood. This week, the sky's the limit. I even bought parsnips! Those huge green apples are going to be cored & filled with butter, cinnamon & sugar and then I'll bake them and serve them with vanilla ice cream for the perfect Fall dessert. The potatoes and leeks will make a yummy soup... The tomatoes, peppers, lemons and shallots will probably find their way into some sort of fajita business... Zucchini because it looked good and I'm an unrealistic optimist about what my kids will eat... Pears, strawberries and grapes won't last 2 days around here with my two fruit-eaters... and a baguette because, well, do you ever need a reason for a baguette?


Finally... We found a pumpkin today! We've been searching for a couple of days now and the stores we had seen selling them were sold out the past few times we tried. But today was our lucky day! Nevermind that it cost us 2 pound 50, which is just under 5 US Dollars. I probably would have paid double that just to have a pumpkin for my sweet girls who have been asking so nicely for one. Welcome to our house, pumpkin! (Cute sidenote: Tonight Avery asked if we could carve the pumpkin into a "lantern." Pretty clever, Aves!! Jack-o-lantern!.. Sometimes I forget that they're always listening and absorbing everything we say, whether or not they really understand. Pretty convicting.)

No comments:

Post a Comment