Thursday, October 7, 2010

All things big and small


For the most part, grocery shopping online is fantastic.

You just pick and choose what you need or want, click it and watch it add to your "trolley" which conveniently keeps a running subtotal so you know how much you're spending. Love it. It's especially nice for those of us with kids and without cars because really building the pantry takes time and heavy-lifting. (We can only haul about 4 bags of groceries with us if it's just me and the girls, and that gets eaten pretty quickly!) With grocery delivery, however, there's no limit to what you can purchase because it all just magically appears on your doorstep and all you have to do is unload the crates of food. BINGO! Full fridge. So online shopping-- I'm a fan.

It's just that I've learned I need to carefully look at what I'm buying and not assume I know what it's going to be. My first delivery had two items that made me laugh: Kleenexes and disposable/foil casserole dishes. I thought I knew what I was buying when I clicked "Kleenex Double box 'value pack'" and added it to my trolley, but apparently I failed to realize that these are called "Man-size" kleenexes. Yeah. Man-size. (See picture of Julia holding the kleenex box and you'll understand my shock and awe.) And the wonderful casserole dishes I ordered since our house wasn't furnished with any... TINY. But, again, that's what I get for not reading. I went back and checked: Sure enough it said "small." Boo. (Now, do I go ahead and order some Pyrex or do I split my recipes into fourths and bake them that way? Pyrex it is.)

There's definitely a learning curve here and at some point maybe I'll get it right. For now, we use our Man-size kleenexes for just about anything. Sometimes they're face wipes, sometimes they're hand towels! And the teeny foil to-go boxes are now holding the girls' art supplies. Beads, stickers, etc. They're happily serving a purpose, even if it wasn't what they were purchased to do.

More groceries come tomorrow! Can't wait to see what we get.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Those are HUGE!!! Goodness... what kind of nose were those made for? What a fun and crazy adventure!
    I really could have used the home delivery system for groceries today.... Aubrey decided to have a meltdown at the entrance to Albertson's. Granted, she had no morning nap because of MOPS... but all I needed was eggs and bananas! We survived, but isle by isle, the entire store knew she was not happy! Oops!
    I'm so glad there's a system in place to make your grocery shopping experience not only less stressful, but entertaining as well! :) Hugs to you and the girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture of Julia holding the kleenex made me laugh out loud. That is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete